Friday, March 19, 2010

The modern world

Quite funny, the types of things that happen in the age of computers and the internet. So, today I get three bills. One from a company in Germany. They ask me to pay 93 Euro plus a 9 Euro late fee for access to its internet site. No, not one of those sites ... - I must have used the site when I downloaded Open Office (an open source suite of office programs that's available free of charge from gazillions of outlets on the web). So, when I downloaded the software I duly filled in their forms, not at all realizing that I was subscribing to anything. Well, now they want money - that they won't be getting obviously. Instead, I notified German police, their bankers and for good measure the German Revenue service about their activities. While searching for them on the web (all German language, unfortunately!) I noticed to my horror, that people actually paid up (for access to open source software!). Sad sad sad.

Well, the other bill I received was from the CAA, a Canadian motoring club (they help you when your car breaks down etc). The letter says outside: Annual Membership Notice. Inside a bill and stuff explaining to me the benefits of my membership. It goes without saying that I am not actually a member of the CAA, I don't owe a car, indeed, I can't even drive. What made them write to me? I have no idea.

Another bill I got today (yep, one of those days) is for the renewal of a subscription I actually hold. Turns out, if I subscribe on the renewal form I pay more than if I end the subscription and start a new one immediately.

Gotta watch out folks. They're out there to get you, reputable organisations and outright scam artists.

Ethical Progress on the Abortion Care Frontiers on the African Continent

The Supreme Court of the United States of America has overridden 50 years of legal precedent and reversed constitutional protections [i] fo...